To shave, trim or wax pubic hair is not a recent fashion. The ancient Egyptian art already shows female pubic hair in the form of painted triangles. In medieval and classical European art, it was very rarely depicted, and male pubic hair was often, but not always, omitted. In 16th century southern Europe Michelangelo showed David with stylized pubic hair, but female bodies remained without hair below the head.
In northen Europe in Renaissance time pubic hair was more likely to be portrayed than in the south, more usually male, but occasionally female. For a long time, females, portrayed naked, showed no pubic hair or vulva. By the 17th century, suggestions of female pubic hair appear in pornographic engravings.
The dawn of the bikini swimsuit in the '80s was reason for women to shorten the length of their pubic hair. The modification of pubic hair can also be considered a statement about one's style or personal lifestyle as can leaving it unmodified. The fashion designer Mary Quant was notably proud that her husband trimmed hers into a heart shape. Nowadays both man and women tend to trim, cut or wax their pubic hair.
Different tastes, different styles
- Natural, Au naturel, Bush: No trimming and therefore no maintenance.
- Trimmed: hair length is shortened but not removed or shaped, inner thighs may be shaved.
- Triangle: hair removed (generally waxed) from the sides to form a triangle so that pubic hair cannot be seen while wearing swim- or underwear. The range varies from the very edge of the 'bikini line' to up to an inch reduction on either side.
- Landing Strip: hair is removed from the sides to form a vertical rectangle.
- V-shaped: adaptation of the triangle with an inner triangle removed.
- Heart/diamonds/spades/clubs: hair shaped in the form just as it says.
- Mix: landing strip (upper) and triangle (lower) shapes, also in other directions.
- Pyramid: an upside-down triangle.
- Dyed hair to give it an unique look or form, f.e. heart shaped.
Full-Brazilian, Hollywood, Bare, Bald Beaver, Bald eagle, German (G)Wax
Pubic hair completely removed. Can also be with the exception for a very thin narrow stripe above the vulva. Freestyle are usually variations of the Brazilian/G-wax, where a design is formed of the pubic hair above completely bare vulva.
The European: All pubic hair is removed, except for a small patch on the mound
Ways to deal with your pubic hair:
For shorter hair, use an electric trimmer and set it at the desired length. Use and trim where desired. You can use your hands to stretch the skin in areas like labia and scrotum.
Fast, cheep, but also a short term solution and must be done regularly to avoid stubble. It’s painless, that is if you avoid nicks and razor burn. Trim first to prevent long hairs clogging the blades. When you use a razor with blades use shaving cream.
Last a bit longer than shaving your pubic hair but the chemicals can cause irritation on the sensitive skin.
F.e an epi-lady. Removes hair by the root and this can take some time and it can be a painfull proces.
Electrolysis or laser hair removal
Is expensive, often painful but a permanent solution. It can take a couple of treatments to completely remove all hair.
Whatever the methode, use skin care afterwards! Your skin is vulnerable for infections after shaving and depilatory treatments, so apply a des infectant to prevent infectionsl
Tips or suggestions? Share them!